Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Re-branding Pilgrim

I just posted an announcement about the upcoming Service Sunday and noticed that I couldn't read the title of my own post when it came through by email. The name of the blog is so long it cancels out the post title.

Recently KWMU became St. Louis Public Radio. At first I thought the change was presumptuous (what about KDHX) and lame.  Besides the URL for stlouispublicradio.org is harder to enter than kwmu.org.  Both work.  But from the point of view of an announcer, how easy is it to say KWMU?  Say that three times quickly.

Similarly, I have heard many people stumble over the word "congregational."  That is not a concept that really speaks to people.  What is a congregationalist, anyway?

So for the purposes of both brevity and clarity, I suggest we start calling ourselves Pilgrim UCC, or, because there is more than one, Pilgrim UCC in St. Louis.  I am not suggesting we legally change our name.  But the URL for our website is PilgrimUCCStL.org.  [I am setting up a new site and have also bought the URL PilgrimUCC-StL.org]

Let me know what you think about this idea.

No comments: